There are 5 methods to remove stains from quartzite countertops. First, you can try adding an extra layer of sealing over the countertop. Next, you can try commercial stain remover or cleaner. Regularly wiping the dust and liquid is also helpful.
This is just the start of the article. To get rid of the stain properly you’ll have to learn more about the methods. No worries, because I’ve already discussed all of them. So let’s dive into today’s topic – how to remove stains from quartzite countertops.
What causes quartzite to stain in kitchen?
Quartzite is a popular choice for kitchen countertops due to its durability and resistance to heat and scratches. However, it can still become stained if it is not properly maintained.
One common cause of staining in the kitchen is exposure to acidic substances such as lemon juice or vinegar, which can etch the surface of the stone and cause discoloration. Oil, grease, and other food stains can also penetrate the stone if they are not cleaned up promptly.
It’s important to clean up spills and stains as soon as possible using mild soap and water and to avoid using abrasive cleaners or pads that can scratch the surface. Regular sealing and maintenance can also help prevent staining and keep your quartzite looking beautiful.
How to prevent quartzite to stain in the kitchen?
Here are 06 tips on how to prevent quartzite from staining in the kitchen:
- Wipe up spills immediately: Accidents happen in the kitchen, but it’s important to clean up spills and stains as soon as possible to prevent them from penetrating the stone.
- Use coasters: Place coasters or mats under glasses, plates, and other items to prevent them from leaving rings or stains on the quartzite surface.
- Avoid acidic substances: Acidic substances like lemon juice, vinegar, and wine can etch the surface of the stone and cause discoloration. Avoid using these substances on or near quartzite countertops.
- Clean with mild soap and water: Use mild soap and water to clean your quartzite countertops regularly. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or pads that can scratch the surface.
- Use cutting boards: Always use a cutting board when preparing food on your quartzite countertops. Avoid cutting directly on the stone surface to prevent scratches.
- Seal regularly: Regularly sealing your quartzite countertops can help prevent staining and keep them looking new.
7 Methods to remove stain from quartzite countertop
If accidentally your quartzite gets stains then there are several ways to remove it. Below I’ll be explaining 5 easy ways to remove stains from quartzite countertops. But before that, a quick comparison table is given below to help you to understand which method you should go for.
|Extra Layer of Sealing||Less than 15 minutes||Low||Easy|
|Homemade Stain Remover||20 minutes (Active), 2 days in total||Low||Medium|
|Wiping and Cleaning||N/A (Regular Maintenance)||Free of cost||Easy|
|Commercial Cleaner||10 Minutes||Medium||Easy|
|Rubbing Alcohol||Less than 10 minutes||Medium||Easy|
Now it’s time to get into the main segment. So, let’s dig in.
Method 1: Adding an Extra Layer of Sealing
Most of the quartzite countertops come pre-sealed but you can apply a more seal on it. If you put an extra layer of sealing on the countertop then it will keep everything away from touching the quartzite.
Moreover, by sealing the quartzite then you can easily remove dirt and liquids by just wiping them away. If the seal gets damaged then you can reseal it.
Method 2: UsingHomemade Stain Remove
Most you will hear of specific cleaners to remove stains from your quartzite. However, there is a manual alternative that you can make yourself. Let’s see how do you get tea stains out of quartzite countertops manually.
- Get baking soda and water.
- Mix them together and make a paste.
- Spread it on the stain and cover it for 2 days.
- If the stain doesn’t go completely then repeat this process again.
Method 3: Regularly Wiping Dirt and Liquid
Liquid can create permanent stains on the quartzite countertop if they aren’t taken care of for a long time. So, don’t let any liquid sit for a long period on the countertop. After cooking, wipe the dirt and liquid as soon as possible.
Method 4: Using Commercial Cleaner
The next method is also an effective one. You can try a commercial cleaner to clean the countertop. Let’s see how to clean a quartzite countertop using a commercial cleaner.
- First, get a clean wet cloth and pour some commercial cleaner into it,
- Next, spread the cleaner on the stain spot and let it set for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, wipe it away smoothly if the stain isn’t so deep. If the stain is deep then add pressure while cleaning it but make sure not to damage the countertop by being too rough.
Method 5: Using Glass Cleaner
- Choose a glass cleaner without ammonia or acidic ingredients.
- Spray the cleaner on the countertop and cover the entire surface.
- Wipe down the countertop with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Wipe down the countertop again with a damp cloth or sponge to remove any residue.
- Dry the countertop with a soft towel or cloth.
Method 6: Using dishwashing liquid
- Fill a sink or bucket with warm water and add a small amount of dishwashing liquid. Use a gentle dishwashing liquid that doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or abrasives.
- Dip a soft cloth or sponge into the solution and wring out any excess water. You want the cloth or sponge to be damp, not dripping wet.
- Wipe down the quartzite countertop with a damp cloth or sponge, making sure to remove any spills, stains, or crumbs.
- Rinse the cloth or sponge in clean water and wring out any excess water. Use the damp cloth or sponge to wipe down the countertop again, this time removing any soap residue.
- Rinse the countertop with clean water, making sure to remove all traces of soap.
- Dry the countertop with a soft towel or cloth to prevent water spots.
Method 7: Using Rubbing Alcohol
If any of those methods don’t work then you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the stain. This process is kind of similar to the previous one. However, let’s see how to do it.
- First, get a bottle of rubbing alcohol and apply a little amount of rubbing alcohol on the spot.
- Next, get a clean soft cloth and rub it with the cloth for only 2-3 minutes.
- Then rinse it with water and your countertop will be good as new.
- If all the stains don’t remove completely then add a little more of it and do the process once again.
Before getting into the segment let me suggest you another related article – what countertop would look good with hickory cabinets.
What should you not use on quartzite countertops?
Quartzite countertops are very gorgeous-looking surfaces. They are expensive too. They increase the elegance of a house. Nobody wants to damage these countertops. To keep the countertop from getting damaged you have to avoid using some tools and cleaners.
First, don’t ever use any harsh tools like brushes to clean the surface. Always use a soft cloth to clean it. Secondly, don’t use any aggressive chemicals on the countertop. It may cause discoloration or even cause a bleaching effect.
Now another piece of advice for you is never cut anything directly on the countertop. A little mistake while cutting can permanently create a scratch on the countertop. Always use a cutting board or something to cut on.
Aside from that, avoid placing hot pans directly on the surface. It can damage the countertop. I would suggest using a trivet or stove mat before placing a hot pan.
Finally, people ask a very common question – can you use vinegar on quartzite?
Well, it is another big mistake. It can discolor or disintegrate the countertop. However, some people use it by diluting it with water. If you want to do it I suggest don’t over-pressurize it while wiping.
How do you get tea stains out of quartzite countertops?
Tea can cause stains on quartzite because it is hot and it has a darker color. When hot tea spills on a quartz countertop, the countertop easily absorbs it and when it is set there for a long period then it creates a dark stain on that place.
There are various ways to remove a tea stain. You can try using commercial cleaning spray to get rid of the stain. You just have to spray it on the spot and let it set for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it with a soft wet cloth.
If you don’t like costing any money then the manual homemade method is also there for you. As I mentioned earlier, you can use the baking soda and water paste method. Spread the paste on the spot and wrap it with plastic and let it set for two days. It will completely remove the stain.
I know how precious your quartzite countertop is to you and never want to see any stain on it. No worries, now you know how to remove stains from quartzite countertops.
I have added 5 Methods and all of them are very easy. However, if you ask for the most effective one then I would say the rubbing alcohol and sealing method are the best among the five methods. Mainly it depends on the level of stain. I hope now you’ve no more confusion on the topic.
Read related post;
- How to Mount A Butcher Block Countertop? 8 Step Guide
- What Countertop Would Look Good With Hickory Cabinets?
- How to Save Money on Quartz Countertops? – 6 Tips for You
- Are Quartz Countertops Heat resistant? Learn Before It’s Too Late
- How to Remove Rust from Granite Countertop – 4 Methods to Do It
- What Color Cabinets Go With Brown Granite Countertops – 8 Suggestions for 2023
- What To Put Under Air Fryer To Protect Counter? Top 6 Suggestions for 2023
- Best Heat Resistant Mat for Air Fryers to Protect Your Countertop