If you’re a general rice cooker user then it’s normal for you to get confused when you try something different in the rice cooker. Well, today’s topic is how to steam sweet potatoes in the rice cooker.
I know you’re looking for this and that’s why you’re here. Just keep reading and the process.
06 Steps to Steam Sweet Potatoes in Rice Cooker?
To steam sweet potatoes in a rice cooker, follow these 06 steps:
- To prepare sweet potatoes in a rice cooker, you have two options: leave the skin on after washing them well and place them whole in the rice cooker, or peel and chop them into bite-sized pieces before adding them to the rice cooker for a different taste.
- Add 1 cup of water to the rice cooker and place the chopped sweet potatoes in a steamer basket.
- Close the rice cooker’s lid and set it to the “steam” or “vegetable” setting.
- Let the sweet potatoes steam for approximately 15-20 minutes or until they are soft and tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fully cooked, turn off the rice cooker and remove the steamer basket or sweet potatoes from the pot.
- Serve the steamed sweet potatoes as a side dish or use them in recipes like sweet potato mash or soup.
Note: Depending on the size and quantity of sweet potatoes you are steaming, the cooking time may vary. Check the sweet potatoes periodically to ensure they are not overcooked or undercooked.
Benefits of not peeling sweet potatoes before seaming
Sweet potato skin is rich in fiber, which can help promote digestive health and keep you feeling full for longer. It also contains vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium, and iron.
The skin of sweet potatoes can add a slightly earthy and nutty flavor to the dish. Leaving the skin on while steaming can enhance the flavor profile of the sweet potatoes.
Besides, You may read this article about How to Steam Tamales in a Rice Cooker?
How Long to Steam Sweet Potatoes in Rice Cooker?
It will take only 15-20 minutes to steam sweet potatoes in a rice cooker. In general, all types of potatoes will be done within this time range.
However, I’ll still ask you to check the manufacturer’s guide. Because different rice cookers have different modes and for different modes, the time span can differ.
What Can You Serve with Steam Sweet Potatoes
Now that you’ve learn how to steam sweet potatoes, your concern is what should be served with your dish. Well, there are many ways you can serve steamed sweet potatoes. Here are a few ideas:
- As a side dish: You can serve steamed sweet potatoes as a side dish with a variety of main courses. For example, grilled chicken, roast beef, or fish.
- In a salad: You can cut steamed sweet potatoes into small cubes and add them to a salad for a unique taste.
- In a soup: Add some diced steamed sweet potatoes to a soup for added flavor and texture.
- In a breakfast bowl: Another interesting way is you can top steamed sweet potatoes with some scrambled eggs and diced avocado for a healthy and satisfying breakfast.
- As a puree: You can also puree steamed sweet potatoes and use them as a base for a sauce or gravy.
Is It Better to Steam or Boil Sweet Potatoes?
This is a very confusing question because both methods work well for cooking sweet potatoes. So, the choice ultimately comes down to personal preference. Here I’m adding a few things to consider when deciding which method to use –
Boiling Sweet Potatoes
Boiling sweet potatoes is quick and easy. Simply wash and cut the potatoes into pieces, and then place them in a pot of boiling water. Boiling can cause the potatoes to lose some of their flavor and nutrients. However, they can leach out into the cooking water. To minimize this, try using a minimal amount of water and using a covered pot.
Steaming Sweet Potatoes
Steaming sweet potatoes is a healthy cooking method. It’s because it preserves most of the potatoes’ nutrients. If you want to steam sweet potatoes, you can use a steamer basket placed over a pot of boiling water. The potatoes will need to cook for a bit longer than if you boiled them. But the result will be tender, moist sweet potatoes with a more delicate flavor.
Overall, both boiling and steaming can be good options for cooking sweet potatoes. If you want to save some of your time then boiling is a better option. But if you consider the taste and nutrients then steaming is the option you should go for.
Can sweet potatoes be steamed in a microwave?
Yes, sweet potatoes can be steamed in a microwave by placing them in a microwave-safe dish with a small amount of water and covering them with a lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap.
Can I steam sweet potatoes without a steamer basket?
Yes, sweet potatoes can be steamed without a steamer basket by placing them directly in a pot of boiling water and covering the pot with a lid. The water level should be below the level of the sweet potatoes.
How do I know when steamed sweet potatoes are done?
Sweet potatoes are done steaming when they are soft and tender. Test for doneness by piercing them with a fork or knife. If the utensil goes in smoothly with little resistance, they are done.
What is the difference between steaming and boiling sweet potatoes?
Steaming sweet potatoes is a gentler cooking method than boiling, which can help to preserve their nutrients and texture.
Should I peel sweet potatoes or not before seaming?
Whether or not to peel sweet potatoes before steaming is a personal preference. The skin is edible and contains nutrients such as fiber, so leaving it on can increase the nutritional value of sweet potatoes. However, some people prefer the texture and flavor of sweet potatoes when they are peeled. If you choose to leave the skin on, be sure to wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly before steaming.
Are there any health benefits to steaming sweet potatoes?
Steaming sweet potatoes can help to preserve their nutrients, including fiber, vitamin A, and potassium, which can support a healthy digestive system, immune system, and heart health.
For details, You may read this article: 6 Surprising Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Before I go to the verdict, another article suggestion for you – Mastering the Art of Rice Cooking: A Guide to Cooking Perfect Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
It’s all about how to steam sweet potatoes in a rice cooker. I’ve already mentioned it’s super easy and after reading this complete guide you shouldn’t have any more confusion on this topic. So, good luck!