To cook brown rice in a rice cooker, first, rinse it properly and then add it to the rice cooker. If you’re cooking 1 cup of rice then add 2 cups of water. Next, add the setting to “Brown” and let it be cooked. It will be done automatically after 45 – 60 minutes. Then let it sit on the cooker for 15 minutes in “keep warm” mode.
If you are looking for a vast guide on how to cook brown rice in a rice cooker then you should go through this article. In this article, I’ve also added a different recipe for garlic rice. So, keep reading.
How to Cook 1 Cup of Brown Rice in Rice Cooker?
It’s very easy to cook brown rice in a rice cooker. Here I’m adding a step-by-step guide to cooking brown rice in a rice cooker.
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
Step 1: Properly Rinse the Rice
In the first step, rinse the brown rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water. It will remove excess starch and dirt from the grains. Besides, it helps to prevent them from clumping together.
Step 2: Add it to the Cooker
Next, add the rinsed brown rice to the rice cooker and measure out the appropriate amount of water. The general rule of thumb is to use a ratio of 1:2 (1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water).
However, some rice cookers may have specific instructions on the amount of water to use. So it will be wise to recheck the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Step 3: Add the Setting
In this step, close the lid of your cooker and turn it on. Most rice cookers will have a specific setting for brown rice, so be sure to select that option if it is available. If not, use the “white rice” setting.
Step 4: Let it Cook
Now, let the rice cooker do its work. The cooking time will depend on the size and type of your rice cooker, and the quantity of rice and water you are using. However, it should take 45 minutes to an hour.
Step 5: Keep it for 15 Minutes at Keep Warm
Now you are almost done. Once the rice is cooked, the rice cooker will automatically switch to “keep warm” mode. Now, allow the rice to sit in the rice cooker for an additional 10-15 minutes. It will allow the grains to fully absorb the water and steam.
Note: Cooking times for brown rice may vary depending on the type and age of the rice, as well as the size and type of rice cooker you are using.
What is the Water Ratio for Brown Rice?
A usual question of us is the ratio of brown rice and water. It’s important because if the water is more than the ideal measurement the rece will get softer than usual. Your brown rice can also become mushy and watery due to this,
And if it’s less than the ideal measurement then it’ll get harder.
The ratio for brown rice and water is 1:2. That means per one cup of rice you’ll have to add 2 cups of water.
How to Cook Garlic Brown Rice in Rice Cooker?
Cooking garlic brown rice in a rice cooker isn’t anything extremely different from cooking brown rice. Here all you need are some additional ingredients. Let’s see how to cook it.
- Brown rice: 1 cup
- Water: 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- First, rinse the brown rice using a fine mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rinsed rice, water, olive oil, and minced garlic to the rice cooker.
- Now, stir to combine the ingredients and season the rice with salt to taste.
- Close the rice cooker’s lid and turn it on. It should take about 45 minutes to 1 hour to get cooked.
- When the rice is finished cooking, allow it to sit in the rice cooker with the lid closed for an additional 10-15 minutes. This will help to steam the rice and make it fluffier.
- Finally, fluff the rice with a fork and serve. Enjoy your garlic brown rice!
Besides, You may read Brown Rice: Health Benefits, Nutrition Facts, and How to Prepare It at https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-brown-rice
Pros And Cons of Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Now let’s check out the pros and cons of cooking brown rice in a rice cooker.
- Cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is efficient and convenient Rice cookers are designed
- The Rice cooker doesn’t need constant supervision.
- Rice cookers are designed to cook rice to the perfect consistency every time, so you don’t have to worry about under or over-cooking the grains.
- You may find that a rice cooker does not offer enough control over the cooking process. For example, you cannot adjust the heat or stir the rice during the cooking process.
- A rice cooker is an additional appliance that you will need to purchase and store in your kitchen.
What are the Health Benefits of Brown Rice?
If you compare brown rice vs white rice you’ll find brown rice healthier than regular white rice. Below I’m adding some health benefits of brown rice.
- Brown rice contains a variety of essential nutrients. It includes B-complex vitamins, minerals like magnesium, selenium, and manganese, and antioxidants.
- It is a good source of dietary fiber that helps in different ways. For example, it helps in digestion, helps to maintain bowel regularity, and can contribute to a reduced risk of chronic conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- The fiber content in brown rice can help promote satiety. it’ll you feel fuller for longer and potentially helps in weight management efforts.
- Brown rice is associated with a lower risk of heart disease due to its fiber, antioxidants, and beneficial oils. They support overall cardiovascular health.
Does brown rice need more water in the rice cooker?
Yes, brown rice generally requires slightly more water than white rice when cooking in a rice cooker. Adding an additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water per cup will help to get the desired texture and consistency.
Does brown rice cook well in a rice cooker?
Yes, brown rice generally cooks well in a rice cooker because rice cookers are designed to handle a variety of rice types, including brown rice.
Now you know how to cook brown rice in the rice cooker.
Overall, it’s a very easy and general process. But one thing to keep in mind, you will have to wash the brown rice more than regular white rice. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and pay attention to the cooking time to ensure perfectly cooked brown rice every time. Before saying goodbye another article suggestion for you – Rice Cooker Magic: How to Steam Sweet Potatoes in Minutes?