There are different types of bacon and it’ll take different hours for cooking different types. For example, the raw turkey bacon will take around 3.5-4 hours on high and 6-7 hours on low. Again, the peameal bacon will require around 3.5 hours (combined). However, for bacon and beans, the time requirement is higher. On low, it’ll take 8-9 hours, and on high, it’ll take 4-5 hours.
If you’re still confused and willing to know the recipe, the whole article is waiting for you, Just keep on reading till the end.
How Long to Cook Different Types of Bacon in a Crock Pot?
Below is a quick overview chart. Take a look and you’ll understand how long to cook bacon in a crockpot.
|Raw Bacon||3.5-4 Hours||6-7 Hours||–|
|Peameal Bacon||–||–||30 Minutes on High + 3 hours on Low|
|Bacon and beans||4-5 Hours||8-9 hours||–|
Now it’s time to dive into the recipe segments.
How to Cook Raw Bacon in a Crock Pot?
There is a common question among almost every crock pot user. The question is “is it possible to cook bacon in a crock pot?”. Don’t worry, whether it’s beef or turkey bacon, it is possible, and I’ll show you how to cook it.
If you cook turkey bacon in a crock pot, the outside of the bacon will be crispy, and the inside will be so delicious.
Preparation Before Cooking
To make this easy bacon recipe, you will need 8 strips of thick-sliced bacon. You can use any type of bacon, such as cured, uncured, smoked, or unsmoked.
Using a sharp knife, cut each strip of bacon in half and then slice it into thick pieces. Thicker slices will hold up better in the slow cooker.
Note: Since you’ll be cooking on high, it will take approximately 3.5-4 hours to cook the bacon.
Equipment you’ll need to cook bacon in a crock pot
- Crock Pot: For this recipe, At first we need a Good Crock-Pot.
- Kitchen scissors or sharp knife: You’ll need these to cut the bacon in half. I recommend using good kitchen shears, which are especially good for cutting bacon.
- Cutting board: You’ll need a cutting board to cut the bacon.
- Tongs: You’ll need tongs to rearrange the bacon strips while they’re cooking in the crockpot.
- Paper towels: Use unprinted, food-safe paper towels to drain the cooked bacon. These will come in handy during the cooking process.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Cooking Bacon in a Crock Pot
I will now provide you with an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide. So, please keep reading!
Step 1: Pre-Heating and Placing the Bacon
Preheat the cooker high for at least 15 minutes. Place the bacon strips in the cooker.
Step 2; Rearranging the Bacon
Remove the lid after 1 hour and rearrange the bacon strips. Use your tongs to move the undercooked slices to the bottom and the cooked strips to the top.
Step 3: Taking Care of the Undercooked or Overcooked Strips
Now place the lid again and do the same thing again in one hour. Move the least-cooked strips to the bottom when they start to brown. If any strips cook fast then move them from the cooker and drain them.
Step 4: Post-Cooking Preparation
After cooking the bacon, you can add some spices or masalas for flavor. You can add black pepper for pepper bacon or red pepper flakes for spicy bacon.
Tips: Each and every bacon are different that’s why the cooking time will be different for each bacon. The time will depend on the temperature and the bacon meat.
Now serve it as you want and enjoy. For tips, cut the strips in half to get the best result.
Besides, you may read this article: Can you keep mac and cheese warm in a slow cooker? [With Process]
How to Cook Peameal Bacon in a Crock Pot?
If you are interested in peameal bacon then the below steps are for you.
- Fill half of the cooker with water and turn the cooker on high.
- Then turn on the cooker and put the peameal bacon in the cooker.
- After 30 minutes, turn the slow cooker low and cook for 3 hours more.
- After cooking, put the bacon away from the cooker and put it on a table for cooling down. Once the bacon cools down, chop it into thin slices.
Bonus Recipe: BACON AND BEANS
Bacon and Beans are great food to try in November. It is a very delicious dish, and everybody should try it. If you want to make it in a slow cooker then I will help you in step by step.
- 1 bag Bacon & Beans (Any good brand)
- Bacon strips: 1 lb 1/4
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the beans and remove all the debris.
- Chop the onions.
- Cook the bacon and cut it into ¼ pieces.
- Combine bacon, beans, garlic, onion, flavor packet, and water in a large bowl. Shake until packet contents are dissolved.
- Cook it in a 4-6 quart crock pot for 4-5 hours if the temperature is high and if it’s low then cook for 8-9 hours. I prefer removing the lid for the last 30 minutes to get a thicker consistency.
Before I go to the verdict another article suggestion for you – how long should you cook neckbones in the crockpot on high?
How to Store leftover bacon?
If you have leftover bacon then it is important to store it properly to keep it fresh and safe to eat. Here’s how you can do it:
- Let it cool down: After cooking the bacon, let it cool down for a few minutes before storing it. This will prevent condensation from forming in the storage container.
- Use an airtight container: Transfer the leftover bacon to an airtight container. You can use a plastic or glass container with a lid that seals tightly. This will prevent air from getting in and cause the bacon to spoil quickly.
- Store in the refrigerator: Store the container of leftover bacon in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
By following these simple steps, you can safely store your leftover bacon and enjoy it for a few more days!
Important Tips for you
Here are some extra tips to make your slow-cooked bacon even better:
- Cut the bacon strips in half before placing them in the Crock-Pot. This will make it easier to move them around and ensure they cook evenly.
- Even if you plan to cook the bacon on low, preheat your Crock-Pot on high for a few minutes. This will give the bacon a head start and make it crispier in the end.
- Use tongs to move the bacon pieces around in the slow cooker. They are more efficient than using your hands or a spatula and can help speed up the cooking process for any uncooked pieces.
- The bottom of the slow cooker is very hot due to the heat source, so use it to your advantage to help cook any pieces that need a little extra time.
- Once you’re done cooking, wait for the slow cooker to cool down before saving the bacon grease. It can be used as an oil for cooking or for other purposes in the kitchen.
Can I cook bacon in a crockpot without water?
Yes, you can cook bacon in a crockpot without water. The bacon will release its own fat as it cooks, which is usually enough to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
How long does it take to cook bacon in a crockpot on high?
It usually takes about 3-4.5 hours to cook bacon in a crockpot on high, depending on how crispy you like it. However, it’s important to keep an eye on it as cooking times can vary depending on the size of your bacon slices and the type of crockpot you have.
Can I cook bacon in a crockpot on low?
Yes, you can cook bacon in a crockpot on low. It will take longer than cooking it on high, usually around 6-8 hours. However, cooking it on low can help prevent the bacon from becoming too crispy or overcooked.
Do I need to flip the bacon while cooking it in a crockpot?
No, you do not need to flip the bacon while cooking it in a crockpot. The slow, even heat of the crockpot should cook the bacon evenly on both sides.
How do I clean my crockpot after cooking bacon in it?
To clean your crockpot after cooking bacon, let it cool down completely first. Then, use a paper towel to wipe away any excess grease. Next, fill the crockpot with warm, soapy water and let it soak for a few hours. Finally, use a soft sponge or cloth to scrub away any remaining grease or residue, and rinse the crockpot thoroughly with clean water.
Hopefully, you may not have any confusion about the time required for cooking bacon in a crock pot. Now if you have learned how you can cook bacon in a slow cooker then invite your family or friends and enjoy bacon with them. Good luck with your cooking.
- How to Thicken Crockpot Beef Stew? – 6 Effective Methods
- Can You Put A Crockpot On The Stove? – When Yes And When No?
- Can You Cook Chitterlings in a Crock Pot? – What’s the Process?
- Can You Put A Crock Pot in The Dishwasher? – Ultimate Cleaning Guide for 2023