Yes, you can cook chitterlings in a crock pot. But there is a catch. Here timing is very crucial as under or overcooked chitterlings can ruin the whole taste. So, it’s necessary to observe everything attentively while cooking and cleaning. Without proper cleaning, you won’t be able to make them odor-free.
There you’ll have to follow certain steps. Cleaning and bringing taste are other necessary parts here. So after learning can you cook chitterlings in a crock pot, now thinking about the other facts. No worries, in this article, I’ve covered everything. Just keep on reading and get familiar with everything related to it.
Things You Should Know About Chitterlings
If you have been to any South American holiday dinner, chances are that you are already served chitterlings which is a very common dish in that region. It goes really well with fried chicken, collard green, cornbread, or such main courses.
This complimentary serving can add up flavor to any celebration. Even as an individual dish with sauce or with a simple bowl of soup, it’s enough to win hearts. Conch or calamari lovers will find a comparable texture but a different taste in this cuisine.
Not all people love chitterlings. In fact, some of them say it feels like chewing rubber. Also, if not carefully handled, it can spread bacterial infections easily. Some people are annoyed with the odor while preparing.
How to Clean Chitterlings?
Cleaning chitterlings is a foremost part of preparing any recipe with them. The reason behind this is chitterlings can carry bacteria. So you should never skip the thorough cleaning step and sanitizing of your kitchen to ensure the prevention of any disease.
Try to buy raw chitterlings right away from a butcher. In case, you buy from a shop and it says pre-cleaned, you must clean them again. But there are certain processes to clean them. Let’s get onto the 7 steps –
- Firstly, soak the chitterlings in a bowl of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of salt for a minimum of half an hour.
- Then you need to boil the chitterlings. To begin with, put them into a large pot of water.
- Boil for 5 minutes at a high temperature so that there is no chance of bacteria.
- After boiling, pour it into a large strainer to drain the water and let it cool.
- Check each chitterlings very carefully to remove any unnecessary elements such as skin, straw, hair, fecal matter, undigested food, etc.
- Once again rinse under running water for a long time unless these are completely cleansed.
- Finally cut them to your desired length. Half to 1-inch length is the most common cut.
This is the main process of cleaning. Now let’s get into the next part.
The Cooking Process: How to Cook Chitterlings in a Crock Pot?
This is an important part. When you have a plan on cooking chitterlings in the crock pot you must learn the proper way to cook it. You can’t randomly cook it like normal dishes. Here I am providing certain steps to cook chitterlings in a slow cooker.
- First, clean them and place them into your crock pot.
- Then, pour water an inch above after placing chitterlings in a crock pot.
- Next up, put the chopped onions, seasonings, sliced garlic, and green peppers on top.
- Time to have a good stir before attaching the lid.
- Let it come to a simmer and don’t remove the lid.
- The most important thing is proper timing in the recipe. The heat setting defines the required cooking time.
- If you cook at 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it will take a minimum of 5 hours. (It will vary depending on the cooking time of other ingredients.)
- When it is done take it out of the crockpot and you are done.
Now, I’m sharing Rosie’s Recipe below;
How Do You Make Chitterlings Not Smell?
Many people avoid cooking chitterlings recipes because of the disgusting smell. It stinks while preparing if not cleaned properly. The waste inside the intestine causes the odor. But do not worry. There are a bunch of common methods to apply in order to completely get rid of the smell. Check out the hacks –
- One of the age-old traditional remedies is the use of potatoes and onions together and boiling them for 10 minutes.
- Some chefs prefer adding apple cider vinegar while boiling the chitterlings.
- Another popular technique is using fresh garlic and cilantro. You should cut and put them with the ingredients inside a crock pot.
- Sliced oranges and lemons are like a two-in-one solution. Besides, getting the odor away, it works as a disinfectant against bacteria.
How Long Does it Take Chitterlings to Cook in the Crock Pot?
A bunch of people ask, How long does it take to cook chitlins in a pressure cooker? Well, chitterling cooking is an extensive process which is why it is a holiday recipe. It takes almost 6 hours to cook at a high temperature. And the preparation time is another long long journey as cleaning and getting rid of the smell consumes extra time and effort. In low temperatures, it might take extra 30-45 minutes
Read also: Can You Boil Water in a Crockpot?
How Long Can You Keep Cooked Chitterlings in the Refrigerator?
You can refrigerate (40 degrees or below this temperature) the cooked chitterlings for about 3 to 4 days in general. If you keep it inside the freezer (0 degree or below) after cooking, it will stay up to 3 to 4 months. Ensure cold air circulation inside and do not overpack. But what about uncooked chitterlings? Do you know how long can you keep uncooked chitterlings in the freezer?
Well, you can keep uncooked chitterlings in the freezer for 3-4 months. However, keep this in mind in case of refrigerating if the chitterlings are thawed you can refrigerate it only for 2 days.
Some Additional Tips
If you cook chitterlings very often then I’ve got some tips for you. Have a look –
- Purchase double the amount you want to serve as they shrink after cooking.
- Keep those away from any baby products as they are more likely to increase the risk of illness from bacterial disease.
- After cooking, instantly wash your hands thoroughly to be extra cautious.
- It is better to rinse several times and for a longer period.
- Do not put frozen chitterlings right away in the crock pot.
- Never keep uncooked chitterlings sitting for more than 2 hours.
Do you clean chitterlings in cold or hot water?
It is recommended to clean chitterlings in hot water, with a temperature between 120-130°F (49-54°C). Soak the chitterlings in the hot water for at least 30 minutes to several hours to remove dirt, impurities, and unwanted odor. Thoroughly rinse the chitterlings with cold water after soaking to remove any remaining dirt and impurities before cooking.
I’ve already learned everything on the topic: can you cook chitterlings in a crock pot? The direct answer is positive.
Moreover, I’ve also discussed the way of cleaning and cooking as well. However, one last tip. As you’re using a crock pot, naturally it’ll take longer. That’s why I named it a holiday recipe. Have your patience and for sure you will enjoy a good meal.
- Can You Leave Soup in a Crockpot Overnight – When Yes And When No?
- Can You Reheat Turkey Crock Pot? How to Do it?
- Can Crock Pot Insert Go in a Dishwasher? Ultimate Guide!
- How to Thicken Beef Stew in The CrockPot? – 6 Effective Methods
- How to Cook Frozen Meatballs In A Crockpot Without Sauce?- Best Crockpot Recipes
- How to Thicken Crockpot Beef Stew? – 6 Effective Methods
- Can You Put A Crockpot On The Stove? – When Yes And When No?
- Are Crock pots Supposed to Get Hot On the Outside – Positive Answer!
- How To Thicken Up Chili In Slow Cooker With and Without Cornstarch
- How to Thicken Gravy In A Crock Pot? – 6 Simple Ways